Marshall Creek Baptist Church

Click here to edit subtitle

History of the Church

     In 1834, John Wright came on a visit from St. Claire County to Fredonia Prairie, six miles north of Odin, expressing a desire for a Baptist meeting. Although not religious, Morgan Nichols and wife, Lucinda, finally consented to open their little log house to the organization. The result was that two weeks later Marshall Creek was “organized by Dr. W. F. Boyakin and Nathan Arnett on Saturday before the second Lord’s day in July, 1838, at 11:00 a.m.” The constituent members were converted and baptized by Dr. Boyakin.  

     Meetings began in the summer of 1837 by Elder Boyakin at Morgan Nichol’s home.  A “Success Meeting” made some 35 conversions! Meetings were held in the Nichol’s home for some months and then moved to a small church located where the present church is located. The burning down of the log school house forced the congregation to meet in homes for some months.

     After the first building burned, a large log house was built just north, for use as church and district school. The present building was built in 1870 with dedication in 1871. Baptist Sabbath School was organized in 1871, with Bro. James Talbert as Superintendent, meeting every Sunday at 9:00 a. m.

     A great revival in 1877, conducted by Elder G. G. Dougherty, brought 24 additions in two weeks. A “Spontaneous Revival” began in January 1880 and another revival in December 1880. This later revival was the result of a Sunday School Convention conducted by H. R. Chissold, a layman from Chicago. Motion was made and seconded on May 27, 1912, to “put a solid foundation down and rebuild from the ground up.” Dedication services were held “the fifth Sunday in August, 1913.”

     Old kerosene lamps were put away in 1949 when the rural electric lines came through the area and the church received electricity. The cemetery behind the church was maintained by an Annual Ice Cream Social. In 1956-57, the basement and classrooms on the north side were added. On October 28, 1962, a note burning service was held.

     In September 2013, Marshall Creek marked its 175th anniversary.  While the church has had its ups and downs, its people have remained faithful.  We are experiencing revival in this church and in the surrounding communities.  If you are looking for a loving church family that is seeking to actively pursue God’s will, please come and check us out.